If you already have a good understanding of the Part 101 drone rules, but have realised what you want to do doesn't comply, you need a Part 102 unmanned aircraft operator certificate.

Part 102 Unmanned Aircraft Operator Certification outlines how to obtain an unmanned aircraft operator certificate. You need a certificate if you want to fly a drone outside of the Part 101 rules - such as operating unshielded at night, or with a drone that weighs more than 25 kg. 

Part 102 is assessed on the risk of the flying you will be conducting. To operate with a variation from the Part 101 rules, you will need to show how you can manage the risks associated with that particular activity.

You will be required to provide us with a series of operating manuals showing how you have identified the hazards and risks of your operation, and the ways you will mitigate those risks. Each application is considered on its merit.

Having determined that you need to be certificated for your type of flying, you need to fill out the application form and the Part 101 and Part 202 compliance matrixes. Find these on Advisory circulars.

 Ask us about drones

If you have any questions about this topic, use our contact form, or email drones@caa.govt.nz