Can I take this item on a plane?
- Light-weight Hiking poles are allowed in carry-on if they are constructed of aluminium or carbon fibre and can fit in the overhead locker
- Hiking poles made of heavier material must be carried in checked luggage
What are the restrictions?
- Light-weight Hiking poles are allowed in carry-on if they can fit in the overhead locker
- All other hiking poles must be carried in checked luggage
Why is this item restricted?
This item can be used as a weapon and cause harm to the crew and other passengers.
What happens if I have a restricted item in my carry-on bag?
You will be asked to relinquish all dangerous or prohibited items found in your carry-on luggage. If you refuse:
- you will not be permitted to move through the screening point, and
- your airline will be advised of your refusal.
How does Aviation Security screen for restricted items?
AvSec x-ray bags going onto aircraft to ensure there is nothing dangerous in them. If something comes up on the x-ray that needs checking, the bag will be opened, searched and any dangerous good or prohibited item will be removed, with a bag search notification form left within the bag.