Severe myopia, for the purpose of this manual can be arbitrarily defined as a refractive error of Dioptres of Sphere DS -6 and very severe myopia as a refractive error of DS-8 or worse. Under the ICAO SARPS applicants with high refractive errors should undergo a special vision examination every five years.
Correction of myopia with spectacles results in smaller images on the retina. Aberrations also occur. Contact lenses or high refraction index aspheric spectacles lenses, which are thinner, more comfortable and have reduced aberrations, should be used in cases of severe myopia.
Information to be provided
A special eye report must or should be provided in the following circumstances:
- As required in the Timing of Routine Examinations GD [PDF 500 KB];
- On the first occasion that an applicant presents with contact lenses;
- On the first occasion that an applicant presents with distance uncorrected distance visual acuity of 6/60 or worse;
- Every five years if an applicant has uncorrected distance visual acuity of 6/60 or worse, in accordance with ICAO recommendation;
- Every 2 years or as determined by the ME, if an applicant is young and the ME suspects that the refractive error has not yet stabilised. Alternatively, in this latter situation, the ME may elect to review the applicant and only refer if the standards are not met.
Disposition in case of severe myopia
An applicant with severe myopia should be considered as having a condition that is of aeromedical significance if:
- The refractive error is in excess of DS -8 (very severe myopia, because of potential for complications); or
- If the severe myopia is combined with more than mild astigmatism; or
- When there is suspicion of eye disease; or
- If the applicant is not using either contact lenses or spectacles fitted with high refractive index aspheric lenses.
An applicant with severe myopia who is considered to meet the standards should have the medical certificate endorsed as follows:
- Distance spectacles must be worn, or
- Distance spectacles must be worn, contact lenses permitted - if using contact lenses; or
- Contact lenses must be worn; and
- Spare spectacles must be readily available.